Thank you for your interest in Bear Wood Company. We are a small business located in West Virginia.
We aren't housed in a giant factory, mass producing furniture on a cookie cutter conveyor line. We use our hands to make each piece we sell. We hand pick our materials. We don't use particle or press board, MDF or laminate. We use the real stuff. You know... wood.
We touch, saw, sand and sweat over everything we sell. (We hope sweat isn't something that would put you off from purchasing an item. We believe in being honest right up front and building furniture by hand is hard work that sometimes produces sweat.)
Once a piece is through the building stages and ready for the finish, we don't use factory sprayers or fancy automated whirling applicators. We do it the old fashioned way. You know, like your grandpa used to do it - a rag and some oil, wax or whatever type of finish the piece calls for.
At that point, we'll eyeball the thing, give it the final once over and if it's ready we hand stamp the Bear Wood Company seal on whatever you buy.
You may have to wait a few weeks for an individual piece to be produced depending on how heavy our production schedule is, but at least you know why - we are actually building it by hand.
Our goal from jump, and jump for Bear Wood Company by the way was December 31, 2014, has been to make home furnishings that don't just look good in any home setting, but to use design elements that actually reflect where we are from. For us, that's West Virginia. From our line of Rustic States, to the use of bears, fish and trees in our designs, it's all about the place we call home. The Black Bear is our state's official animal. Fishing is a huge WV past time. Evergreen trees silhouette the mountain tops at the state's highest elevations. Of course, more designs are in the works, but you get the idea of where we're headed.
One of our more popular items is the Rustic State. These are big, proud cut-outs of home, made in the shape of whatever state that holds your heart. We happen to be partial to West Virginia, but to each their own... we'll make whichever state you like, and produce it with the same level of care that we produce ours.
Our rustic states are made from reclaimed wood, that is, stuff that's been used and we are re-using. We get a lot of our materials from the local Habitat for Humanity. We also source materials from people like you. We meet with the owners so we know where the wood comes from. Knowing that also offers us the opportunity to know the history of the wood, which we can then pass on to you.
For example, the wood you see at right was donated to us by a couple that pulled up a floor out of their home in Charleston. You can see what the stamp on the back revealed to us. It was originally produced at the old Meadow River Lumber Company in Rainelle, WV. The factory went out of business in 1975, but it was once the largest sawmill in the entire world.
It's great when we are able to know the wood's history, particularly when someone like you provides us stuff to make a piece with that has some personal meaning. Now that's home.
Our rustic roots were shaped in two places: West Virginia and New Mexico. My name is Matt Snyder and I'm the founder of Bear Wood Company. I grew up in West Virginia and hadn't done much traveling when I was young so I left the state in 1996 to see the country. I was in my early twenties and had nothing but a sleeping bag, very little money and a sense of adventure. It didn't take long until I found a home away from home in Taos, NM. I spent about two years there learning to build furniture from a fella who to this day runs a thriving handmade furniture business. If you ever find yourself in Taos, a tiny village that feels even tinier thanks to the giant Rocky Mountains jutting overhead, stop in and see the work by David Mapes at New Mexico Furniture Co.. You won't be sorry you did. Anyhow, I came back to West Virginia in '98 and continued building furniture through the years and finally struck out on my own in 2015 to start Bear Wood Company.
So if you notice some southwest flavor in our designs here and there, you now know why. Southwestern furniture is by definition rustic, so it marries well with West Virginia''s less formal, rough around the edges style. It's furniture you can feel at home with, and actually use and not worry too much about life's bumps and spills.
Our branding statement, calling card, slogan, marketing tagline, ah, whatever you want to call it is, "Always Home". It fits. It's simple. It's what we're about. Hopefully, you'll get that warm and fuzzy feeling of home when you think of us, or see that phrase on our website or one of our social posts. If you see it enough, maybe it'll even subconsciously influence you to buy something. That'd be cool with us.
Thanks for stopping by. We hope you enjoy our products as we continue to grow and be part of our community.
Matt Snyder, Owner
Oh, we can't forget our old friend, Ringo. Our pal passed away earlier this year. Our hearts are heavy and cannot comprehend how we lost him so soon; he was only nine years old. Despite the best efforts of our favorite vet, Dr. Curtis, Ringo departed our lives early in the morning on February 20th. Our hearts are broken. He loved taking long walks with his momma, letting the cat beat him up, hurling himself into a lake or river and swimming too far from shore, romping around in the snow, and terrorizing the UPS man (We’re sorry about that). He smiled a lot just like in the picture there. We smiled a lot with him. We’ll miss you buddy.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. This Campaign is open only to those who enter as of Thursday, February 7th 2019. The Campaign is only open to legal residents of the United States, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Bear Wood Company, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Bear Wood Company as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Entries will be accepted online starting on Thursday, February 7th, 9pm EST and ending Wednesday, February 13th, midnight EST. All online entries must be received by Wednesday June 20, midnight EST.
4. The Campaign must be entered by tagging a friend. The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Bear Wood Company LLC. You may enter as many times as you like. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Bear Wood Company LLC.
5. The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive an engraved Rustic WV valued at $65. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Bear Wood Company LLC No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at Bear Wood Company LLC's discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Bear Wood Company LLC to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner will be selected by a random drawing under the supervision of Bear Wood Company LLC. Winner will be notified by within five (5) days following selection of Winner. Bear Wood Company LLC shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 10 days from the time award notification was sent, the prize may be forfeited. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT Bear Wood Company LLC'S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that Bear Wood Company LLC, anyone acting on behalf of and Bear Wood Company LLC's licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. Optional verbiage for Contests: By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of Bear Wood Company LLC. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Bear Wood Company LLC from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which Bear Wood Company LLC may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Bear Wood Company LLC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Bear Wood Company LLC’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, Bear Wood Company LLC may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Bear Wood Company LLC. Bear Wood Company LLC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Bear Wood Company LLC has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, Bear Wood Company LLC reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless Bear Wood Company LLC and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND WEST VIRGINIA, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in West Virginia having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Bear Wood Company LLC, 2755 Main St, Hurricane, WV. Requests must be received no later than Thursday, February 13th, 9pm EST.
14. The Sponsor of the Campaign is Bear Wood Company LLC.
15. The Campaign hosted by Bear Wood Company LLC is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram or Facebook.
Bear Wood Company LLC operates BearWoodCompany.com. This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information we receive from users of the Site.
We use your Personal Information only for providing and improving the Site. By using the Site, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.
Information Collection And Use
While using our Site, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to your name ("Personal Information").
Like many site operators, we collect information that your browser sends whenever you visit our Site ("Log Data").
This Log Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, browser version, the pages of our Site that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages and other statistics.
In addition, we may use third party services such as Google Analytics that collect, monitor and analyze data.
We may use your Personal Information to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information.
Cookies are files with small amount of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer's hard drive.
Like many sites, we use "cookies" to collect information. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Site.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.